Alex Robinson, nutritionist and passionate foodie from Revival Nutrition has shared with us this fantastic winter recipe that is simple and perfect as a winter family meal. This dish has all the nutrients you need in one dish; no need to entice children to eat their veges!
1 roast chook shredded
½ butternut pumpkin
1 cup peas
½ head cauliflower
2 heads of broccoli chopped up
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour (can use gluten free or alterative if you wish)
1 ½ cups milk (can use substitutes such as almond milk)
½ cup bone broth or stock
1 cup grain such as buckwheat, black/red rice, quinoa (optional if you don’t want any grains)
Your favourite dried herbs
1. Turn oven onto 180 C or 160 C fan forced.
2. Chop pumpkin, broccoli and cauliflower into bite size chunks, and steam lightly. Once the water starts boiling throw in the peas.
3. Lightly grease a medium size baking dish and place shredded chicken in base.
4. Cook grains as instructed on packet.
5. To make white sauce, melt butter in saucepan. Once melted gradually add flour until a paste forms. Slowly add the milk, stirring continuously to avoid lumps until you have a nice thick sauce. Take off the heat and stir in bone broth or stock.
6. Once your vegetables are cooked, layer on top of chicken.
7. When grain is cooked, drain and add to white sauce. Mix well together with your favourite herbs, salt and pepper.
8. Pour white sauce over the top of chicken and sprinkle with parmesan.
9. Cook for approximately 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
10. Serve as is! Has everything you need in one dish!